All sorts but mostly classical
When I was about twelve, my uncle, Lester Dudley, bought a large Phillips radiogram. For some unknown reason he left it at my parents'
house where it brought me joy every Sunday. Lester used to visit on Thursday after he finished work and on Sundays for many hours when he played his
growing collection of records. One of the first records he brought over was Joan Sutherland singing Caro Nome. That aria still has the power to bring
tears to my eyes.
I have been keeping a list of my favourite pieces
of music for several decades and add to it whenever I find something new I like, or, more often, when I finally discover a name for a
piece which I have loved for years. In addition to all the items mentioned below I enjoy Wooden Heart as sung by Elvis Presley.
I had forgotten to add another of my early favourites by Litolff which I heard (15 January 2018) on ABC Classical FM which is the scherzo
from Concerto Symphonique No. 4 in D minor, by Henry Litolff. I can clearly remember hearing it for the first time. I had come
home from work, in Melbourne, and was so cold I kept on my fake yellow fur coat and sat between two heaters in the house in
Grange Road, Glenhuntly. On came the scherzo. I missed hearing the name and rang what must have been 3LO in those days,
and they told me what it was.
Interestingly, a decade or so after I began keeping my music list, I found one written by Lester and our top ten were
I have now recoded this page so the items appear alphabetically by composers surnames.
I realise I have failed to add many of Haydn's compositions.
I am still adding new items to my list, often an item which I have loved for years but have only now found the name.
Just added Antonio Soler, Sonata in D Major which I have loved for years but, until recently, couldn't track down.
- Arndt, Felix, Nola
- Bazzini, Antonio, Morceaux Op 46
- Beethoven, Ludwig van, Piano Trio in B-flat major
- Beethoven, Ludwig van, Sonata No. 5 in F major
- Beethoven, Ludwig van, Triple Concerto in C major, Op. 56: III. Rondo alla polacca
- Boccherini, Luigi, Guitar Quintet No. 4 in D major 'Fandango'
- Boccherini, Luigi, String Quintet in E
- Brahms, Johannes , Violin Concerto in D Major
- Brahms, Johannes, Lullaby
- Brahms, Johannes, Piano Trio in B major
- Bruch, Max, Violin Concerto no. 1 G minor
- Bruckner, Anton, Lancer Quadrille No.3
- Chabrier, Emmanuel, Habanera
- Davies, Harry Parr, Bluebird of Happiness (Jan Peerce)
- Elgar, Edward, Cello Concerto in E minor
- Elgar, Edward, Salut d’Amour
- Elgar, Edward, La Capricieuse
- Farrenc, Louise, Valse brillante
- Faure, Gabriel, Dolly Suite
- Giménez, Geronimo, La Boda de Luis Alonso
- Giuliari, Bartolomeo, Concerto No. 1 in A
- Giuliari, Bartolomeo, Guitar Concerto
- Giuliani, Mauro, Guitar Concerto No. 1 in A major, Op 30
- Gottschalk, Louis Moreau, everything!
- Gounod, Charles, Jewel Song from Faust
- Haydn, Joseph, Cello Concerto No. 2 in D major
- Hellmesberger, Joseph, danse diabolique
- Hummel, Johann, Serenade No. 1
- Kreisler, Fritz, Liebesleid
- Liszt, Franz, Hungarian Rhapsody (all 19 of them!)
- Litolff, Henry, Scherzo, Concerto Symphonique No. 4 in D minor
- Marquez, Arturo, Danzon No. 2
- Mendelssohn, Felix, Piano Trio No. 1 in D minor
- Moszkowski, Moritz, Spanish Dances for piano
- Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus, Count and Susanna duet, Act 111, Marriage of Figaro
- Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus, String Quartet No. 14 in F
- Rota, Nino, The Leopard
- Rubinstein, Anton, Melody in F
- Saint-Saens, Charles-Camille, Symphony No. 3, "Organ Symphony"
- Saint-Saens, Camille, Piano Concerto No. 5 in F major
- Saint-Saens, Camille, Danse Macabre
- Saint-Saens, Camille, Piano Concerto No. 3 in E flat major, opus 29
- Satie, Erik, La Diva de l'Empire
- Satie, Erik, Gymnopedies
- Satie, Erik, Je te veux
- Schubert, Franz, Piano Quintet in A major
- Schubert, Franz, Notturno E Flat Major for piano and trio
- Schumann, Robert, Traumerei
- Schumann, Robert, Cello Concerto in A minor
- Shostakovich, Dmitri, Tahiti Trot
- Shostakovich, Dmitri, Ballet Suite No. 1
- Shostakovich, Dimitri, The Gadfly
- Shostakovich, Dmitri , Jazz Suite 2
- Sibelius, Jean, Humoresque Op 89, Nos 4 and 5
- Smetana, Bedrich, String Quartet No. 1
- Soler, Antonio, Sonata in D Major
- Strauss, Johann, Laughing Song, from Die Fledermaus
- Strauss, Johann, Simplicius Waltz - (Joseph Schmidt)
- Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich, Violin Concerto in D major
- Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich, Variations on a Rococo Theme, Op. 33: Theme and Variations
- Toselli, Enrico, Serenata, I love the one with the Maastricht Salon Orchestra with nightingale
- Verdi, Giuseppe, Caro Nome, from Rigoletto - (Joan Sutherland)
- Verdi, Giuseppi, La donna e mobile, from Rigoletto
- Yepes, Narcisco, Romance for Guitar
- de Zespedes, Juan Garcia, Convidando esta la noche
Feedback - I'm always happy to receive feedback about my site.
Please contact me here.
This page was updated by Diana Kupke (Diana Mann) on 11 October 2021